Floating Baby & Pretend Play
I added a new somewhat creepy baby ticker up top per Cheryl's request ;) I couldn't get it on the baby blog, it is a different template that is tricker to manipulate.
I couldn't figure out which site to put this story on, so I'll just put it on Moira's since I am already here. I was cleaning out my diaper bag and there was a little sample of baby lotion. Moira said "Is this for the baby that is going to come out of your bottom?". I didn't know how to answer that so I just said "sure..." We got a fairly graphic magazine from the Doctors office that shows how big the baby is each month in the womb and it has some good delivery shots, so I guess that's where she came to the conclusion that the baby comes out of the bottom. Understandable.
Moi has been asking for so many animals for her birthday, I figured I needed to start to inform her that she is not really getting all of them (or any animals for that matter, other than pretend). She was looking at a book and it had a hamster in it and she said "There is a hamster, just like I am going to get for my birthday!". I said "Moi, hamsters poop a lot and make the house stinky and them mommy would have to spend a lot of time cleaning the cage." She said "Oh" in a very pitiful way. And then she said "Do mice poop a lot?" And I said "Yes, they do". She said "Oh", very sad. Then she said "Do elephants poop a lot?". I realized this was not going to end well, but I very well couldn't tell her that they don't poop a lot so I made a funny voice and very elaborately said "They do BIG POOPS!" and did a funny dance. She thought that was really hilarious. We did that for a bunch of other animals. I was telling Chris the story later and he decided to test her. He said "Moi, do you want a hamster for your birthday?" and she said "NO! THEY POOP A LOT!" Yes, score! But then tonight she thought of a loophole. She said "Can I have a mouse for my garden?" I said "What do you mean for the garden?" She said "For outside in the grass so it won't get poop in the house? And can I have a real bird so I can hold it in my hands and then let it go outside?" So now I'm going to have to think of an excuse to not get those things. Sigh, she is a tricky devil. We did come to an agreement that we would go to the pet store on her birthday and look at the hamsters (and their poop) and the dogs in the cages (and their poop).
I know I've talked before about Moi's pretending but it is really becoming a constant thing. She is ALWAYS pretending to be a character, usually from the Polar Express or Max and Ruby. Sometimes from Dora. And I always have to be a chacter too, as do Kodos and Kang and Chris if he is here. Really anybody around needs to be assigned a personality. As soon as she wakes up, she tells me who she is and who I am. Example "I'm the Polar Express girl! You are the Hobo! Kodos is the Polar Express Boy!" You must only refer to her in whatever character that she has established for herself. This goes on ALL. DAY. LONG. Her characters change about 100 times a day. It is hard to keep up with who she is. If you call her the wrong name, she gets very angry and corrects you aka "I am not the Polar Express Boy I am the Gray Boy!" We went to one of her friends birthday parties last night and I was introducing myself and her to people and she would hear me from 10 feet away telling people her name and she would say "I am not Moira, I am the Polar Express boy! You are not Meg, you are the Polar Express girl!" So I had to explain this about 5 or 6 times. Then when we came home she was sitting down watching a cartoon and she said "That house matches my coat". I looked up and there was a blue house on the tv, but she was wearing a yellow shirt. Then I realized that the Polar Express Boy wears a blue robe so in her mind that is what she was wearing. Chris was like "Do all kids her age do this?" I know they don't ALL do it, I guess probably some of them do. But hers is seriously all day long. I'm sure it is a sign of something, not quite sure what. We are guessing she'll come up with an imaginary friend here soon.....
I know I've talked before about Moi's pretending but it is really becoming a constant thing. She is ALWAYS pretending to be a character, usually from the Polar Express or Max and Ruby. Sometimes from Dora. And I always have to be a chacter too, as do Kodos and Kang and Chris if he is here. Really anybody around needs to be assigned a personality. As soon as she wakes up, she tells me who she is and who I am. Example "I'm the Polar Express girl! You are the Hobo! Kodos is the Polar Express Boy!" You must only refer to her in whatever character that she has established for herself. This goes on ALL. DAY. LONG. Her characters change about 100 times a day. It is hard to keep up with who she is. If you call her the wrong name, she gets very angry and corrects you aka "I am not the Polar Express Boy I am the Gray Boy!" We went to one of her friends birthday parties last night and I was introducing myself and her to people and she would hear me from 10 feet away telling people her name and she would say "I am not Moira, I am the Polar Express boy! You are not Meg, you are the Polar Express girl!" So I had to explain this about 5 or 6 times. Then when we came home she was sitting down watching a cartoon and she said "That house matches my coat". I looked up and there was a blue house on the tv, but she was wearing a yellow shirt. Then I realized that the Polar Express Boy wears a blue robe so in her mind that is what she was wearing. Chris was like "Do all kids her age do this?" I know they don't ALL do it, I guess probably some of them do. But hers is seriously all day long. I'm sure it is a sign of something, not quite sure what. We are guessing she'll come up with an imaginary friend here soon.....
We are excited for baby boy Hogan!

3 Comments:
That floating baby is creepy!
One more thing. Sammi also used to scream at me when I called her Sammi instead of Snow White or Cinderella or Ariel. On her preschool orientation last year she refused to let me introduce her as Sammi and whispered angrily in my ear everytime someone said Sammi. She's grown out of it now.
Thanks Susan! Since our children are offspring of Portsmouth High School valedictorians, I will just assume this behavior is indicative of genius.
Post a Comment
<< Home