The First 3 months

The first 3 months with Moira have been amazing! We've been blessed with a beautiful, healthy and (mostly) happy little girl that we dreamed about. Moira was born at 7:03 pm on October 7th. She wasn't due until October 22nd, but I develped a liver condition that increases the rist for still birth, so we needed to get her our right away. My Dr. and I decided that due to her estimated size and the fact that she had not "dropped" yet, that we should just schedule a c-section instead of trying to induce me, and then probably having to have a c-section anyway. She was big- 8 lbs 15 oz and 21" long! After a 4 day stint in the hospital, they finally determined that her jaundice was on the upswing, and my liver #'s were returning to normal, and they let us all go home. We didn't get home until 10:30 pm. My mom was waiting at the house for us. She stayed with us to help me out, since Chris has to go back to work the next day. That was such a help! She was a cooking and cleaning machine! Chris's mom came the next week and was also a huge help. I don't know how I could have made it through those 2 weeks without them. Moira has slept for fairly long stretches even from the beginning, going 3-4 hours between feedings even in the hospital. She was never colicy, thank goodness. That would have been hard, since I am alone with her for 12-13 hours a day,since Chris works so late. It took about a month before I was really comfortable leaving the house with her. It was so hard with nursing her, I had to time feedings just right so we could be gone for 2 hours! She has always been a good eater. In a way, it was a blessing to be in the hospital for 4 days. I got the professional help of the lactation consultants for that long. They were wonderful! Moira sleeps in a bassinet beside me in the bed for the first 3 months. She stirs a lot in the night, but usually just putting the pacifier in her mouth quiets her, if she isn't really hungry or dirty. Speaking of which, she is the queen of blowout diapers! Chris claims I don't put them on tight enough, but she blew out the side of one of his diaper jobs this weekend, so he can't blame me for that anymore! At least we know she's esting enough... Although I don't think there is much question about that, as she was in the 90
% at her 2 month visit. We finally started getting the hang of going out in the world around 6 weeks. We joined a new mom's group, and that's been very nice and educational. One of Chris's law school friend's wife had a baby a couple of weeks before Moira was born and we've gotten to know them better, as we are going through the exact same thing. Wendy and baby Connor go to new mom's group also, and we will be taking a music class together next week. I resigned my position at WD Partners in order to stay at home full time with Moira. It has been an adjustment, since I am so used to going to work and earning the money in the family, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to raise my daughter myself, although it means that we don't get to see daddy very much, but that's just the way it goes right now!
It is so fabulous now that Moira is smiling, cooing and laughing. I live to hear her laugh. It's so amazing. And when I walk into her room in the morning and she's there waiting for me with a big smile, my day has just been made! Her transition to her crib was a little rough at first. I spent about 4 nights on the floor next to her. Probably more for my benefit than hers. Then the next 4 nights I kept having horrible nightmares about what was going on in the other room. I'm starting to get used to it, but I still don't like it! Although it is nice to turn over and bed and not worry about waking her up. Chris and I decided we'll probably stay in this house another year or so, so our next project is to turn the guest room into a play room (sorry guests).
We are excited for baby boy Hogan!

1 Comments:
Hi there! Just wanted to chime in that my other new mom friends and I have also had the nightmares about terrible things happening to our babies. It's so strange the way the mind works (especially on little sleep.)
Post a Comment
<< Home